Texas Mechanics Lien Laws

Who Has the Right to File a Mechanics Lien?

Any General Contractor, Subcontractor, Laborer, Material Supplier, Architect, Engineer, or Surveyor, who has provided labor, materials, equipment, plans, plats, or surveys to a Property for the construction or repair of a house, building, or a structure, may Lien a Property (file a Lien against the Property). See Section 53.021 of the Texas Property Code to learn more about who has the right to file a Lien.

Practice Pointer

Some trades are required to have provided their labor/materials “under or by virtue of a written contract” with the Property Owner, the Owner’s Agent, the General Contractor, or a Subcontractor as a prerequisite to being entitled to a Mechanics Lien.  For more information on these requirements please read the section entitled “Can I File a Lien Even if I do Not Have a Written Contract?

Still have questions? Click here to anything.

« Previous Question | Next Question »